I learnt this hot Tomato Tamarind Chutney from an acquaintace during my visit to Chennai last year. I was strongly impressed to see how instantly she made this chutney. I right away dashed to get a pen and a piece of paper to note the recipe down. And when the chutney was done and served to me with plain rice, it turned out even better than my expectation. My contentment advanced to such extent that after returning from Chennai I prepared it just about everyday for an entire week; till my husband nearly pleaded for some change.
Following is the recipe of the flavourful Tomato Tamarind Chutney that was a treat for my taste buds for days.
For printable version of this recipe, click here.
- Soak tamarind pulp in 1 cup water.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add green chillies. Saute for 2 minutes. Keep aside.
- Add tomato pieces in the kadai and cook till it is pulpy. Let it cool.
- Now make a smooth paste of green chillies, garlic cloves, tamarind pulp and salt, with a blender.
- Then add tomatoes and coriander leaves to the above mixture and make a paste. (Do not run the blender for more than 15 seconds in this step)
Note: This chutney is pretty hot. You can reduce the number of green chillies accordingly.